UCCS encourages students to report complaints so that the university may discuss them in a professional manner. UCCS also encourages informal resolution through direct communication with the individuals involved. These informal complaints typically consist of the daily assistance campus personnel provide to students. If the issue remains unresolved, the informal complaint should be directed to the appropriate Dean, director and/or or supervisor. Formal complaints will be considered if the student has properly exhausted the informal process.
Various campus offices may also have an appeal process for students to apply for reconsideration of situations, such as changes of residency or changes of financial situations that may increase their financial aid eligibility. For more information, consult UCCS’s General Student Complaint Policy: http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/vcaf/policies/2016/600-002.pdf
Complaints: For specific complaints, students should consult specific university processes. Information for some specific complaints follows (not an exhaustive list):
- Academic Honesty: Student Academic Code of Ethics http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/vcaf/policies/2013/200-019.pdf
- Disability Access and Accommodation: Disability Services http://www.uccs.edu/~disability/ (see also UCCS Policy 300-021 http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/vcaf/policies/2014/300-021.pdf)
- Financial Aid: Grievance Process http://www.uccs.edu/finaid/policies/grievance.html
- Intercollegiate Athletics: UCCS Athletics http://gomountainlions.com/staff.aspx
- Online and Distance Education Students: UCCSConnect http://www.uccs.edu/connect/connect-inquiry.html
- Protected Class Discrimination and Harassment and Sexual Misconduct: Office of Institutional Equity http://www.uccs.edu/~equity/
- Student Life and Leadership: Student Club Code of Conduct https://orgsync.com/72323/files/741266/download#
Appeal Opportunities (not an exhaustive list):
- Academic Grade Appeals: Consult applicable college or academic department
- Financial Aid : http://www.uccs.edu/finaid/forms.html
- Parking : http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/pts/parking/appeal-application.pdf
- Residence Life & Housing: http://www.uccs.edu/residence/current-resident/services.html
- Student Employment: http://www.uccs.edu/stuemp/handbook.html
- Student Code of Conduct: http://www.uccs.edu/dos/student-conduct/student-code-of-conduct.html
- Tuition: http://www.uccs.edu/registrar/contact-us.html
Other Complaint Resources:
- Accrediting Agency: Any prospective or enrolled student may request a copy of UCCS’s accreditation and state approval documents. Complaints relating to the University’s institutional quality may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission http://www.hlcommission.org/HLC-Institutions/complaints.html.
- Colorado Department of Higher Education. Students who have exhausted campus opportunities for resolution and are unsatisfied with their resolution may file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education http://highered.colorado.gov/academics/complaints/. Students living outside of Colorado may file an additional complaint with their state agency.
- Fiscal Misconduct Reporting: Please see University of Colorado Administrative Policy Statement 4012- Fiscal Misconduct Reporting http://www.cu.edu/ope/aps/4012
- Human Resources Compliance: This area manages reporting as it relates to Conflict of Interest, Employee ADA Access and Accommodations, and Affirmative Action. http://www.uccs.edu/%7Ehrcompliance/
- Public Safety: Available for reporting crimes and other emergencies. Also responsible for distribution of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. http://www.uccs.edu/%7Epusafety/
Students may also consult with the Office of the Dean of Students or the Compliance office, if unsure about where or how to address a concern and/or complaint.
Complaint and Appeal numbers for the 2015/2016 academic year
|Admissions & Records||n/a||557|
|Dean of Students||21||n/a|
|Student Financial Services||0||n/a|
|Veteran and Military Services||2||2|